Learn with Willow-River Tonkin how to do your first strapless pops. A solid pop is the fundament for all further strapless tricks, so make sure you know what you’re doing.
First you should ride cross wind, keep your backleg straight and your frontleg bent while jumping. To ensure that the board won’t fall off your feet push the board with your toes into the wind. For landing steer the kite down and also land downwind. And there you go: your first strapless pop!
Strapless Kitesurfing Destinations
These KiteWorldWide destinationen are the most suitable ones for strapless kitesurfers and those who want to become such:
Strapless Kitesurfing, a new challange for enthusiastic Kitesurfer! Of course this kind of kitesurfing has its advantages as well as disadvantages:
- You can place your feet in the optimum position for both surfing waves and going upwind.
- You can move your feet easily without having to put them in or take them out of foot straps.
- Your board cannot damage your knees or ankles by twisting them.
- If you fly your kite high, launch of a wave lip or broken white water, you will come off the board.
- Water starts are more idfficult until you learn the technique to perfect them.
There are a few things you have to take care of course. We have listed some tips for you from our strapless expert Willow for a perfect Strapless start:
Wax vs Pad
Wax has more of a surfing feel to it.
Wax is nice because you can cover everywhere that your foot may shift, whereas sometimes if you using pads and you haven’t covered your whole board, you can slip and get pretty smashed.
I personally prefer using pads, I like to know that I have got 100% grip the board when you hit the water.
You never have to think about bringing wax to the beach or making sure your wax doesn’t melt in the sun between sessions.
Straps vs Strapless
Strapless is more a lot more challenging but that’s the fun part of it.
You feel a lot more free to move around on your board. Whereas with straps you often feel a lot more restricted.
If you have done surfing before you will find strapless kitesurfing is an easy transition.